Sunday, October 18, 2009

Violence and Pop Culture

Everything this article had to say about violence and pop culture was phenomenal. It gets down to the basic of how children are easily influence by the media. This topic on violence and pop culture is an issue that parents needs to speak to their children about. Should we blame the media for our kid’s action? No I do not think we should blame the media because it is up to the parents to teach their kids right from wrong. When playing video game is violence that occurs at times, but it is up to the child, if they are going to take from the game and use it in life. If they were raise correctly they will know that violence is wrong and it solves nothing. Most of the video games I play are very violent, but I do not allow myself to be influence by the violence I perceive. The game which I enjoy playing and using in my analysis is mortal combat on the super Nintendo. Although it is a fighting game it is very entertaining and interesting in what these characters play. My favorite character is sub-zero because he would always be freezing his opponent to win his battle. Another is Lui Kane, who is popular for his Chinese act with his feet. This game is a challenge, but one can see the different race and ethnic background. There are actually female characters that actually fight, and that is what I like about this game. There are all types of race and gender, so whoever plays this game would not get offended. As the article say parents need to be aware of what their children are watching on the internet and playing. Many children who find themselves as being lonely, usually turn to the internet for comfort. We cannot let go of our children but understand their feelings.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100% that parents should speak to their kids and that the media is not all to blame. In my opinion, I dont know if people would not get offended with the characters in mortal just because there outfits and way of being are very streotypical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This topic of violence in pop culture is one that parents should discuss with their children. Should we hold the media responsible for our children's actions? No, I do not believe we should blame the media because it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children the difference between good and wrong.
    Outlook Bellen

    ReplyDelete